Gluten & Dairy Free
Kimchi was a staple in my household growing up and though there are a bunch of different kinds, cucumber kimchi is one of my top favorites. Here’s a simple recipe… perfect and refreshing for a hot summer day!
english cucumber or small pickling cucumbers
green onion (chopped)
gochugaru (Korean red pepper)
- Cut off the ends of the cucumber, slice lengthwise into two halves, and cut into wedges (or moon-shapes).
- Place in bowl and sprinkle approximately 2 tablespoons of sea salt. Toss together.
- Let sit overnight or for at least 4 hours. This causes water to be drawn out of the cucumbers.
- Add minced garlic, chopped green onions, and approximately 2 tablespoons of gochugaru (can add less or more depending on how spicy you want it).
- Add approximately 1 teaspoon of rice vinegar and a sprinkle of white sugar. Toss together with gloved hands. Can add more salt, sugar or gochugaru to taste.
- Let cool in refrigerator for a few hours.
- Serve cold with steamed rice and kim (roasted seaweed) or as banchan (Korean side dish) with your main entree. Very crisp and refreshing on a hot summer day!