2 cups white sorghum flour
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp pumpkin spice
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup coconut oil
1 tbsp of coconut milk
1 cup fresh pumpkin (about half of a small sugar pumpkin)
1 tsp bourbon vanilla extract
1 tbsp earth balance (or butter)
Dark chocolate bar
How to Prepare Pumpkin
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut sugar pumpkin in half. Gut out seeds and flesh. Save seeds to roast! (Check out How to Roast Pumpkin Seeds).
- Butter a roasting pan with earth balance. Place two pumpkin halves face down on pan.
- Bake in oven for about 30 minutes or until pumpkin is soft and tender.
- Scoop out flesh and set aside.
How to Prepare Muffins:
- Whisk together dry ingredients (sorghum flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, pumpkin spice, baking soda).
- Add coconut oil. Mix until crumbly.
- Add eggs, fresh pumpkin, coconut milk and vanilla. Mix batter until smooth and creamy.
- Grease muffin pan with coconut oil.
- Pour batter into muffin pan. Smooth out tops with a spoon.
- Add topping of your choice! I did half a dozen with pecans, and the other half with dark chocolate pieces.
- Bake on 350 degrees for approximately 30 minutes or until golden brown and fluffy.
- Let cool and enjoy! Tasty treat for dessert or morning breakfast with coffee! 😀